Recently Ryan and I have able to check out some of Las Vegas’ hottest venues. To make the experience even better, many of the events have offered us free drinks to boot!
Usually the free drinks being offered are Well, which is more than generous but does prove challenging from a creativity stand point. While a Vodka and Cranberry is good, there are only so many you can enjoy without getting bored.
Out of curiosity and in need of inspiration, I looked to Google for Well drink ideas in preparation of our next big night out. Here’s what I determined…
Well drinks do not always mean that your drink is made with bottom shelf liquor but it does mean that you will likely be limited to one choice of booze at a time. A Well drink generally will consist of one choice of liquor, one mixer (soda or juice) and maybe some fruit garnish. The customary base spirits tend to be Vodka, Rum, Tequila and sometimes Whiskey / Gin.
Here in Vegas, Vodka reigns supreme in the Well drink world. But what the heck do you do with Vodka to make it more interesting?
Here’s the usual mixers available:
- Orange Juice
- Pineapple Juice
- Cranberry Juice
- Grapefruit Juice (possibly)
- Coke / Pepsi
- Sprite / Ginger Ale (maybe)
- Soda Water (sometimes Tonic)
Garnishes are usually lemon or lime wedges.
The easy go-to’s i.e. The Screwdriver or Vodka Coke are probably the first Vodka well drinks to come to mind but in my experience the OJ used in bar drinks is pretty terrible and I don’t drink Coke. So for me a Bay Breeze or Vodka Shirley Temple are better options.
If you find yourself in a bar offering Well drinks and need some ideas, here’s a quick list to help you decide. Remember, not all bars will offer these but it doesn’t hurt to ask!
- Vodka Cranberry
- Bay Breeze: Vodka, Cranberry, Pineapple
- Vodka Sunrise: Vodka, Orange Juice & Grenadine
- Screwdriver: Vodka, Orange Juice
- Dirty Shirley: Sprite/ 7UP, Grenadine and Vodka
- Vodka and Tonic
- Vodka Collins: Vodka, Lemon Juice, Simple Syrup (this one may be a long shot but you could use Sprite instead)
- Greyhound: Vodka, Grapefruit Juice
- Vodka & Coke
- Madras: Vodka, Orange Juice and Cranberry Juice
- Vodka & 7 (Vodka and lemon-lime soda)
- Vodka Soda
- Vodka, Cranberry & Sprite
- Mary Pickford: Rum, Pineapple Juice, Grenadine
- Rum & Coke
- Rum Madras: Rum, Orange Juice and Cranberry Juice
- 7 & 7
- Whiskey & Coke
- Press: Whiskey, Soda Water, Sprite or Ginger Ale
- Tequila Sunrise: Tequila, OJ & Grenadine
- Paloma: Tequila and Lemon/Lime Soda
- Mexicola: Tequila, Lime Juice and Cola
- Mexican Bay Breeze: Tequila, Pineapple Juice & Cranberry Juice
What did I miss? Do you have a favorite well drink suggestion? Let us know!